Friday, January 13, 2012

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I have often said that I am thankful that I was not born into Laura Ingalls Wilder era. I am in no ways a diva- but I do love my air conditioning in the summer and my heat in the winter. Last night I went to bed all toasty and warm. This morning when I awakened I did not want to get out from under the covers because the air was so frigid. I finally managed to pull myself out of bed and went to turn the heat up. Meanwhile, it is 19 degrees outside with a wind chill of 11. I turned the heat up...and up...and up...and nothing at all happened! There was no air blowing out of the vents. At this point is when a single mom can begin the meltdown. I had to get two kids out of bed and ready for school and had to be at work 30 minutes earlier than usual for a meeting. In the arctic. It was impossibly cold getting ready for the day but we managed. These are the days that I seem to need to "search for the grateful" a bit harder than other days. Today I was grateful for my car seat heaters. And I am grateful that my dad is in the process of fixing the heater. And I am grateful that I do not live in the Laura Ingalls Wilder era. To honor Laura, I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes of hers: "It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and living close to nature"....I think she may have added car seat heaters to that quote if they had been around back then!

No comments:

Post a Comment